

See? I'm not kidding.
Miles 1-3 were no fun. No. Fun. In Mile 2 I was running westward and the wind, hard out of the south, was blowing around me faster than I could breathe in. When I opened my mouth it felt like the wind was sucking the air out. Frightening for a split second every time it happened. Plus, the power was out in the north end of town so the gas station where I usually make this route's potty stop was closed. Boo hiss. Started a long loop home heading west into a headwind and it only took about a minute to turn around. There was just no way.
Miles 4-6 weren't quite as bad though I spent more time on the Trail and the boardwalk sections were a little slick with my YakTrax on. I turned off my iPod around Mile 4; it was driving my pace too hard. Better to listen to the quiet rush of the river and the wind through the trees. Sent a silent Thank You to the people at Kerkstra Portables (Mile 5) for keeping their portajohns so clean. Love them. They had them on the course at Scott Lake and Grand Island, too. Always a mirror on the door, always smelling (relatively) fresh, always plenty of Purell. Ditched the YakTrax at 5.5. I may try running without them more. My feet and my mind both feel lighter.

No comments:
Post a Comment