Boston. I can't get away from it. I can't entirely set it aside, say Never, and have it go away. It's always out there like a foregone conclusion. Since I started training for my first race I've thought about it in one way or another. It was important or it wasn't important. I wanted to shoot for it or I didn't. But it's always been benchmark.
The first thing that put the thought of qualifying back into my mind was finding out that an online friend of mine has applied to be a pacer at another marathon. The group he'd be pacing is faster than what I'd probably run but it just made me think Hmmm. As in, maybe that's a sign.
So I thought about it on and off, and at one point it occurred to me that timewise I might never have a better chance. I'm 43 now, 44 in December, 45 in April 2011. I can qualify at 44 with the time for the 45-49 age group. It stands to reason that the body loses physical ability as it ages, so my physical condition will never be as good later as it is now. So maybe that's another sign. Not just the fact of it, but recognizing it.
I don't know. If I make this a real goal and I don't accomplish it, it'll be extremely difficult to deal with the faiure. But if I don't make it a real goal I probably won't be able to get fast enough to qualify (4:00:59). I know I can run a marathon. But fast has never been my thing. I've always instinctively shied away from pushing myself in that direction. So, I don't know. I have to think about this a little bit more.
Cauliflower. I made my Stupid Easy Roasted Cauliflower Gratin this morning. I'm not wild about cauliflower but I'm always looking for ways to eat more veggies and it's not too bad prepared like this. This weekend I found a good cauliflower on sale, so...
STUPID EASY CAULIFLOWER GRATIN
from www.meijer.com/healthyliving
1 lg cauliflower, separated into florets
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup bread crumbs*
2 T grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Heat oven to 400. Coat baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
In large ziploc bag or mixing bowl, mix cauliflower, garlic and olive oil. Shake or stir to coat. Transfer cauliflower mixture to baking dish. Add 1 T water, cover with foil, and bake 20 minutes.
Combine breadcrumbs, parmesan, parsley, salt, and pepper in same ziploc or in small bowl and set aside.
Remove cauliflower from oven. Uncover and sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture. Return to oven; bake 20 minutes more or until cauliflower is tender.
*This ends up being a lot of breadcrumbs. I think less, maybe 1/3 cup, would be ok. The original recipe calls for the unseasoned type but seasoned would work just as well if not better. Along that same line, you can experiment with other savory herbs in addition to or instead of the parsley.
Sunday, November 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment