Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Catching Up

We were up in Grand Marais from July 3-13. The weather was good, though a little windy/bumpy for fishing during the Challenge. Results placed next to last. I pulled in a 27" brown trout that won us $100 for largest non-laker species, and Chris donated our winnings back to the tournament fund. I ran 3 miles one morning and 4.5 another, and that was it.

I didn't run again until this past Saturday. The group (which turned out to be only Mark, Cathy, Ben, Robert, Michelle, and me) ran the bike trails over at Cannonsburg State Game Area. It was good, but I got lost and then I got a little panicky because I'd ridden with Michelle who had a very full day planned and I didn't want to make her late leaving because I wasn't back at the car on time. I actually had to flip my Garmin to navigational mode and find my way back to the parking lot that way. I did find out that, if nothing else, I can run when I have to.

But I'm back to the drawing board. I pulled up Higdon's Novice Supreme program yesterday and started with 2 miles. And I ran every step. I didn't have my Garmin on but I think I kept up a pace that's a little faster than I'd otherwise run. I don't have a race in mind, and I'm not thinking too much about Grand Rapids. I just need to get back to a program that I can follow and get steady improvement. Tonight's speedwork night at the track and I haven't decided if I'm going. If I go I can go speedwork (of a sort, lol) or I can just do laps and use it as my daily run.

Time to get the kids up and get on with the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment